At Animal Dynamics we make vehicles that combine high efficiency with full autonomy and are able to do more with less impact on nature than other vehicles that perform the same tasks. Taking our inspiration from animals and the natural world we can achieve significant improvements in the performance and efficiency of vehicles in water, air, and ground travel.
What motivates us is our desire to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems. We are motivated to realise designs that will positively disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Our current focus is on two vehicles: a small flying surveillance vehicle, called Skeeter, that is able to fly quietly in high winds; and Stork, a vehicle which has been designed as a highly energy and cost-efficient aerial system for carrying loads. These vehicles are full-stack autonomous vehicles, with complex mechanical, electronic and software features. There is a range of vehicles on our roadmap, and we have demand for these products in a variety of international markets.
Based near Oxford, we are a friendly Company which is growing rapidly. We recruit talented, committed people who want to work in a stimulating and supportive environment.
Overview of the role
We are looking for a Test Engineerwho will design, implement and coordinate a range of test plans on a diverse set of products to meet the strategic business plan. Reporting to the Head of Quality & Safety, this is a hands-on role and you will hold operational responsibility for the testing programme in the company. This activity will include a wide range of testing methodologies and protocols to achieve verification and validation status to industry best practice. You will be responsible for all aspects of validation and design verification testing including accuracy, repeatability and that industry standards are always met.
As an established engineer you will also be able to communicate with both mechanical, electronic and software engineering teams to help ensure the technical specification is interpreted – for both the products themselves and testing requirements.
For the right candidate this role may be positioned as a Senior or Lead Test Engineer and, in time, offers suitable growth to take on the development, expansion and leadership of the testing team, managing mechanical and software testers across a range of products.
Responsibilities… what will you do?
As Test Engineeryou will be responsible for:
- Devising, owning and delivery of a comprehensive test plan for all company products
- Achieving Test and Assurance targets in line with project milestones
- Liaison with engineering teams regarding technical capabilities of products
- Coordination of the preparation, verification and execution of testing to ensure compliance with both regulatory and customer requirements
- Undertake administrative and engineering preparations for testing at external sites, including: planning and optimisation of test campaigns; liaising with test partners; technical over-site of experiments and on-site management
- Identifying, developing, and implementing new test frameworks to adapt to new product lines
- Compiling rigorous and detailed test reports to meet product technical and regulatory requirements and inform the thinking of the engineering teams
- Processing large volumes of data with the ability to consolidate, interpret and present test data in a format suitable for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Build, manage and maintain automated testing systems including Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, regression testing, and hardware-based testing rigs.
- Providing test SME advice to the design and development activity in a range of multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Hold accountability for accuracy and security of test data, supporting others with test protocols and techniques
- Provide support to development of clear product specifications as required
- Provide advice to the engineering teams on usability and function of the product
- Work with the Head of Quality & Safety to develop and improve our testing capability. Devise new testing techniques and provide recommendations
- Provide training and support to customers when required
- Conducting any other support activities for company operations that can be reasonably expected for your role and experience
- For a Senior Test Engineer – in time, develop the testing function and capability within the company, providing leadership, direction and day to day management.
Essential skills and experience… what are we looking for?
You will have the following skills and experience:
- A strong knowledge in either engineering, computer science or a closely related subject (preferably from degree level study)
- Strong work experience in either mechanical, electrical/electronic or software engineering with an ability to understand and communicate with those in the other disciplines
- Significant and demonstrable test experience in a range of technical disciplines within a high tolerance environment (experience of estimating, planning and managing test resources and campaigns). Ability to identify test automation opportunities
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of Quality Assurance / Quality Control in an engineering context
- Experience and understanding of the software development lifecycle as well as testing complex systems involving electronics, software and mechanical design
- Experience of test method validation and working within a regulated test environment
- A highly methodical and disciplined approach to Quality and Testing
- Possess the ability to define standard working practices to promote repeatability and robustness of test processes
- A methodical and analytical thought process to identify and report system deficiencies quickly, prioritise them and assist in the development of technological solutions
- A confident and accomplished communicator to talk your ideas and findings through with the product teams. Strong report writing experience, including in quick summary reports
- A genuine problem solver with a commitment and focus on quality and rigour
- A self-starter, with minimal oversight needed to complete assignments
- Highly self-motivated, good communication skills and a proactive approach
- IT literate, including but not limited to MS Office
Desirable skills and experience: –
- Knowledge of UAS systems, including autopilot design and functionality, airframe, engineering methods, data link, propulsion systems and aerodynamics
- Experience in programming / scripting languages for test automation
- Interest or experience with Linux
- Experience with Software Version Control, particularly Git
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Management (QM) techniques (ISO9001:2015)
- Knowledge and understanding of Safety Management Systems (SMS) techniques
- Proficiency in the interpretation of CAD (preferably SolidWorks)
- An understanding of Product Lifecycle Management including PDM and ERP
Benefits… what do you get?
- Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Company discount scheme
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme
This is a full-time position but part-time would be considered for the right candidate.