At Animal Dynamics we make vehicles that combine high efficiency with full autonomy and are able to do more with less impact on nature than other vehicles that perform the same tasks. Taking our inspiration from animals and the natural world, we can achieve significant improvements in the performance and efficiency of vehicles in water, air, and ground travel.
What motivates us is our desire to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems. We are motivated to realise designs that will positively disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Our current focus is on two vehicles: a small flying surveillance vehicle, called Skeeter, that is able to fly quietly in high winds; and Stork, a vehicle which has been designed as a highly energy and cost-efficient aerial system for carrying loads. These vehicles are full-stack autonomous vehicles, with complex mechanical, electronic and software features. There is a range of vehicles on our roadmap, and we have demand for these products in a variety of international markets.
Based near Oxford, we are a friendly Company which is growing rapidly. We recruit talented, committed people who want to work in a stimulating and supportive environment.
Overview of the role
We are looking for a Product Manager to direct product development across the product range within the company. This is a hands-on role and you will be directly responsible for producing and managing product roadmaps and technical specifications, acting as an interface between customer requirements, engineering, design and R&D. You will drive the development of these products and are ultimately responsible for the success of the product pathway. You must be comfortable working in a technical field and a background in either mechanical engineering/aircrafts or electronics/software would be advantageous; you will also be comfortable pro-actively engaging with customers and our business development activities.
You will need to be a compelling individual who is comfortable taking the lead and can translate ideas into strategy and product features. You will follow product development from start to finish. You will be responsible for creating alignment across the product lifecycle, the various internal teams as well as customer requirements and expectations.
Responsibilities… what will you do?
As Product Manager you will be responsible for:
- Translating the products vision and product requirements into technical specifications, product roadmaps and success metrics.
- Developing, defining and communicating the short and medium-term product roadmap, conducting product roadmap meetings and engaging other functions in the Company with this process, communicating clear product development priorities.
- Managing and coordinating, across the company, downstream releases and product-release calendars.
- Coordinating across other functions (e.g. business development, engineering, testing, design etc.) to ensure smooth communication and alignment across different internal groups with often competing interests to keep the product roadmap moving forward.
- Providing continuous feedback to Engineering colleagues, from early stage research & development through to shipping products.
- Managing the gap between technical product details and user experience.
- Keeping a focus on user experience and customer needs to ensure market fit.
- Developing an understanding of the stated and implicit product requirements of customers and competitors and synthesise these into product strategy.
- Become immersed in the development of innovative autonomous products and their worldwide exploitation, undertaking research and articulating these into product requirements.
- Working with the Animal Dynamics management team to develop the long-term product roadmap for the Company in line with evolving company objectives
- Working with the Executive Team and Business Development, represent the capabilities of Animal Dynamics and the Company’s products to potential customers, users and third-party agencies in a complex marketplace with multiple stakeholders
- Working collaboratively with Business Development and Marketing colleagues to articulate the value, benefits and specifications of the products in their various markets, and collaborate on user trials, product demonstrations, customer integration and product launch activities.
Essential skills and experience… what are we looking for?
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Proven hands-on product management experience in a technical industry
- Technical background or strong foundation of technical knowledge (e.g. as evidenced by a science or technical degree or extensive relevant work experience)
- Proven experience in product lifecycle management, of taking responsibility for developing a roadmap and ensuring the success of delivering a product
- Ability to work cross-functionally including Software and Hardware Engineering, Marketing, Business Development and Executive Teams.
- Proven experience of interpreting functional and technical requirements from product development into technical specifications
- Very strong communication skills with the ability to translate, articulate and understand technical requirements for and from those without a technical background
- Proven experience of valuing, monitoring and interpreting user experience
- Ability to interpret technical and development difficulties or complicated business problems into easily understood solutions
- Proven history of influencing both internally and externally with the ability to communicate at all levels
- Self-motivated, self-directed, with a track record of multi-tasking and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience in developing both hardware and software products, with a strong emphasis on usability
- Knowledge of autonomous technology and its many applications
- Android app development experience, with a good understanding of platform conventions on Android
Benefits… what do you get?
- Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Company discounts scheme
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme
This is a full-time position but part-time would be considered for the right candidate.