At Animal Dynamics we make vehicles that combine high efficiency with full autonomy and are able to do more with less impact on nature than other vehicles that perform the same tasks. Taking our inspiration from animals and the natural world we can achieve significant improvements in the performance and efficiency of vehicles in water, air, and ground travel.
What motivates us is our desire to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems. We are motivated to realise designs that will positively disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Our current focus is on two vehicles: a small flying surveillance vehicle, called Skeeter, that is able to fly quietly in high winds; and Stork, a vehicle which has been designed as a highly energy and cost-efficient aerial system for carrying loads. These vehicles are full-stack autonomous vehicles, with complex mechanical, electronic and software features. There is a range of vehicles on our roadmap, and we have demand for these products in a variety of international markets.
Based near Oxford, we are a friendly Company which is growing rapidly. We recruit talented, committed people who want to work in a stimulating and supportive environment.
Responsibilities… what will you do?
As Product Designer you will:
- sketch designs that enable you to communicate your ideas with a variety of stakeholders; including Engineers, Business Development and customers
- have ownership for the full design remit from prototype to final design; including product, packaging and user experience
- be able to quickly generate concept/presentation boards, both by hand and by using appropriate packages e.g. Illustrator/Photoshop
- create and amend technical designs using CAD
- Be adept at making physical 3D models, and working with the development team to iterate the designs with the development process
- able to synthesise feedback from Engineering, Testing or Product Management on user experience to improve design
- able to lead creative discussions with Engineering, Customers and Executive team as required
- have a good eye for colour and pattern and an appreciation of different materials and their properties for the required purpose
- work with the Product Manager and Engineering teams from initial ideas right through development to pre-production critiques
- responsible for quality check of product against designs
- set out the design guidelines and procedures or specifications needed for production, especially surrounding quality assurance.
- support Business Development and Product Management with support for key accounts e.g. arrange product design showcases in customer meetings
Essential skills and experience… what are we looking for?
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Degree level qualification in appropriate subject e.g. Product Design and Technology
- A few years’ experience in a consumer or manufacturing focused design environment
- Strong IT skills including design packages and CAD
- Good making skills, and workshop experience
- Proven ability to generate and communicate ideas from sketch work through to development
- An excellent eye for colour and pattern
- Good knowledge of manufacturing processes, materials and their properties
- Strong multi-tasker with the ability to tackle multiple projects at any one time
- An innovative thinker and genuine problem solver who is self-motivated
- Demonstrate leadership, and the ability to manage and interpret multiple inputs, and communicate the company’s vision
Desirable skills and experience: –
Benefits… what do you get?
- Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Company discount scheme
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme
This is a full-time position but part-time would be considered for the right candidate.
Note to all applicants
As part of your application you must include examples of your work/portfolio, the best way to do this is on a PDF document all in a single file.