Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone, we provide simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology. We went from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite qb01 in only four months, followed by its launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017.
The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. Based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus in the UK, we are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domain.
The successful candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible to deliver mechanical designs, perform thermal analysis and structural analysis to fulfill the company needs.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead the mechanical design of flight and support hardware.
- Lead thermal analysis at subsystem and satellite system level.
- Thermal management and mechanical support to electronics team.
- Lead structural analysis of flight and support hardware.
- Dealing with manufacturing supply chain.
- Definition and input to quality and operational excellence processes.
- Definition and involvement into assembly, integration and test activities.
- Mentorship/training/recruitment and motivation of colleagues.
- Support sales, customer support or any other business areas that require technical support as needed.
- Input to technical roadmap.
- Assisting company-wide projects and activities as part of the Open Cosmos team.
Skills, attitude, competencies and experience
- Proven industrial experience in product engineering. To have developed several products, seen full cycle including functional and environmental testing involvement
- Demonstrable experience in mechanical design, from concept to drawing for manufacture, knowledge in GD&T using ISO 1101, 2692 & 5458 or ASME Y14.5
- Demonstrable experience in thermal analysis, space applicable experience preferred
- Demonstrable experience in structural analysis using Patran/Nastran, Ansys or similar
- Experience in assembly, integration and test of high reliability systems (aerospace, automotive, nuclear…)
- Extensive knowledge of manufacturing processes to aid design for manufacturing
- Experience managing communication with suppliers
- Quick to learn and teach
- Attention to detail
- Honesty, openness and self awareness
- lean / bootstrap mentality
Nice to have
- Experience in the space sector
- Space systems engineer experience
Open Cosmos in the media